Stay up to date on construction of our new Tomah Health facility.
Click Here to view time lapse photos of our Tomah Health project.
(Our onsite camera captures an image every 14 minutes. See work taking place today or watch a time-lapse of our progress.)
Click Here to see an aerial view of the construction site located on Tomah's south side.
Tomah Memorial Breaks Ground, Announces Name Change
Tomah Memorial Hospital is making plans for construction of a new facility.
Officials from Tomah Memorial Hospital, area dignitaries, elected officials and hospital staff broke ground Thursday, September 28 on a new 66-million dollar facility along Gopher Avenue near Interstate 90 on Tomah’s south side.
Last spring, Tomah Memorial first announced the project, which included building a proposed 130,000 sq. ft. hospital, 80,000 sq. ft. medical office building and 50,000 sq. ft. community/wellness facility on the 40-acre site.
Since then, plans have been modified to an estimated 140,000 sq. ft. three-story hospital and proposed medical office building that would be attached to the hospital.
During the groundbreaking ceremony, Gundersen Health System officials announced that they will build a new medical office building on the hospital site to replace its clinic on Tomah’s north end.
Beginning with the occupancy of our new facility, Tomah Memorial Hospital will be known as Tomah Health. In April 2017, the TMH board of directors approved the new name along with a rebranding of the organization. Tomah Health advances excellence in care by inspiring health, wellness and balance for patients, families and our community. The key elements: health, wellness and balance – serve as the foundation for the new branding and are reflected in the 3 prongs of the new logo. The earth tones and curves of the new logo also reflect the key themes and direction of the new facility.
Additional Info on the Project
• Construction of an estimated $66-million new hospital on Tomah’s south side is expected to be complete by fall 2019.
• The 40 acre site was purchased in May 2014 from Norman and Evelyn Randall, located adjacent to I-90 along Gopher Avenue.
• A new interchange off Hwy. 16 west of Tomah will link traffic with Goose Avenue and Gopher Avenue, and will act as the major routes into the hospital campus.
• Hospital staff and administration have been meeting with architects and designers from BWBR of St. Paul, Minnesota, and Market & Johnson of Eau Claire, on specific designs for the building since early 2016.
• Growing needs of the public are a major reason for a new hospital. Various patient-centered efficiencies are part of the new hospital design. Staff has been able to get a look at the layout of some departments thanks to six hospital rooms constructed in a rented area at Handishop Industries on Tomah’s north side
- - $35 -million loan from the USDA Rural Development Community Facilities program*
(*This is the largest USDA Rural Development loan that has ever been awarded in the State of Wisconsin.)
- $13 -million tax-exempt loan from Associated Bank
- $18.1 -million equity contribution from Tomah Memorial Hospital
• A wellness/community facility, including an indoor swimming pool, is not part of immediate plans unless a significant benefactor comes forward. Officials are still actively seeking partnerships to take on that part of the project.
• Officials from the Mayo Health System have declined to move on campus at this time, space may be considered at a future date.
• Since opening in 1952, the current hospital at 321 Butts Avenue has undergone building expansions in 1964, 1994 and 2004. However, the location no longer allows for future growth.
• There are no definitive plans for the existing hospital, but preliminary discussions have occurred with interested parties.