Main Menu

History of Tomah Memorial

A Hospital to Meet the Growing Needs of Our Community

Tomah Memorial Hospital opened its doors as a 29-bed hospital on April 7, 1952, after years of planning and generous donations by many residents of our community. Throughout the years, responsible growth has been a goal the Hospital and its

Board of Directors in order to continue to provide high-quality healthcare.

  • April 7, 1952 – Tomah Memorial Hospital is established as a 29-bed hospital through the generous donations of community residents.
  • 1955 – Community-minded friends once again donate to help construct the first addition to the original building, which increases the bed capacity to 57.
  • 1957-1974 – The Hospital operates a nursing home on the ground-floor level.
  • 1966 – Major expansion of the Hospital includes the addition of the north and south patient wings.
  • 1975–1980 – Expansion continues with significant improvements to patient service areas in the Laboratory (‘72), Radiology (’75) and the Emergency Department and ambulance entrance (’80).
  • 1984 – Need for a family-centered Obstetrics Department is recognized, and the New Beginnings Birth Center is completed.
  • 1994 – Major building project includes updating and expanding the Emergency and Outpatient Department and renovating the original 1952 structure to create a more customer-friendly healthcare facility.
  • 2005 – A nearly $10-million construction and renovation project is completed, including the 800-square foot addition that now houses a state-of-the-art Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) unit on the Hospital’s south side.
  • 2008 – The Hospital expands its services in Warrens with the opening of the Warrens Walk In Clinic.
  • 2011 – The Hospital opens the Tomah Memorial Hospice Serenity House, and Hospice/Palliative Care Clinic—a 10,000-square foot, $1.5 million, 8-bed facility— at 601 Straw Street in Tomah.
  • 2017 - Hospital officials break ground on a new $66 million three story hospital to be built on a 40 acre parcel of land adjacent to Interstate 90 on Tomah's south side.

 

TMH 65yrs logo

Dedicated to Quality Community Care for 65 Years

Tomah Memorial Hospital has been a cornerstone of the community since 1952. Over the past 65 years, we’ve remained committed to caring for you and your family through every stage of life by offering quality healthcare, close to home.

Learn more about how we're taking care of our community >>