Certified Nursing Assistant - Obstetrics
Status: Per Diem, hours vary per pay period
Hours: Mainly nights but flexibility required to work all shifts as needed including 7am – 3pm, 3pm – 11pm and 11pm – 7am. Will include a weekends and holidays working 12 hour shifts, plus on call as needed.
The Nursing Assistant provides direct nursing care (under the supervision of the RN) for patients, families and groups by instituting the minimum standard of care.
Major Job Functions:
1. Assists with deliveries, both standard and water, and assists with admission of newborn to nursery after all deliveries.
2. Responsible to know and practice sterile technique in the delivery set-up.
3. Assists during circumcisions.
4. Provides for patient’s personal hygiene.
- Gives bedpans, baths, backrubs, shampoos, and assists patients to commode, shower or tub.
5. Provides for activities of daily living.
- Assists with meal setup as needed.
- Assists with infant feeding, formula feeding or assisting mom with breastfeeding infant.
- Ambulates, turns and positions patients.
- Provides fresh water and nourishment between meals.
6. Administers nonsterile dressings, surgical preps, ice packs, heat treatments and sitz and therapeutic baths. Administers newborn laboyer or sponge bath and performs cord care.
7. Performs I&O.
- Checks vital signs and weight.
- Performs sugar testing (on infants) and specimen collection.
8. Provides for comfort needs of patients.
9. Works effectively as a team member in the delivery of care and assists in the orientation of new employees.
10. Utilizes resources and materials in an efficient and safe manner.
11. Maintains a safe and attractive environment for patients and co-workers; transports patients and equipment as appropriate.
12. Promptly answers patients’ call lights and requests.
13. Reports observations of a patient to the nurse caring for the patient to ensure professional assessment.
- Coordinates ongoing assessment of the patient with staff RN according to developed age related standards of care.
- Documents on appropriate flow sheets within specified time frame.
- Documentation is accurate and complete according to standards.
- Assists in evaluation of effectiveness plan of care and patient’s physical and emotional response to teaching and nursing interventions.
14. Instills confidence in the patient by maintaining a neat and attractive appearance and performing duties in a competent and caring manner.
- Interacts effectively with patients both through oral and written communication using appropriate verbal and non-verbal behavior to reinforce the content of the message.
- Respects patient need for privacy, explains cares to patient, and treats patient as an individual with dignity.
15. Shows dependability by being punctual; maintains consistent attendance.
- Attends staff meetings at least 50% of time. Reads and initials all meeting minutes of those not in attendance.
16. Maintain good working relations among all nursing unit personnel and other hospital employees through appropriate communication.
- Willing to identify problems and participate in problem solving process.
- Demonstrates the ability to evaluate suggestions and criticism objectively.
17. In specialized areas, performs duties as defined on a specialized skill list.
- With specialized training, may perform additional and specialized tasks pertinent to assigned area.
- Accepts reassignment as needed to provide necessary care for all patients.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
· Completion of Certified Nursing Assistant program or equivalent.
· Current certification or eligibility to become BLS certified.
· Experience preferred.
Position will remain open until filled.